Thursday, October 29, 2009

Monkey Business And Curious Kids

I used to think monkeys were cool. Maybe you thought so too. Just like you used to think camels were cool, until you read this blog and realized that God turned his back on this creation.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but monkeys are bad people.

I went for a hike today and they were everywhere: climbing on trees, houses, power lines, cows, etc.



When I didn't give them food they attacked me. They tried to pull down my pants and jumped into my bag when I wasn't looking.

Luckily, some locals Tibetans saw my plight and threw rocks at the monkeys to get them away.

Learn from my naivety: monkeys are evil.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also went to the Dalai Lama's temple. I sat on a park bench nearby to relax, and a little boy approached me with this friendly face:

When I responded by making the same face back at him, we became fast friends.
It sort of reminds me of this kid from long ago in Egypt, and our similarly strange friendship:

Oh, and as long as I'm on the subject of boys who insist on taking their pictures with me, this was from the train up to Amritsar.

But this boy wasn't as innocent as the other two. He was a Trojan horse, instructed to bring me in to the next carriage over. There I found his handlers: a Punjabi women's handball team. A deluge of college-age girls insisted on taking my picture with their cameraphones.
I was not amused. It's not that they weren't attractive or that I didn't enjoy their attention; it was just that I was in no mood.
When I woke up the next morning (4:30am) I opened my eyes and looked down from my bed on the upper berth. Two of them were staring up at me. "Good morning, Krees." Oh God. I turned to the other side.
Whatever. In retrospect, I got free tea out of the deal, so I'm happy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment