Saturday, October 3, 2009

Sorry, Israel Is Closed Today

I had a great night out with my host yesterday, but for some reason the Israeli military loves to single me out for questioning and searches.

Note to self: the new 'terrorist look' (tanned skin, trimmed hair, lots of stubble, aviator glasses, and stone-cold facial expression) isn't working out so well here; time to go back to old-fashioned emo.

My plans to go to Bethlehem and Ramallah (part of the West Bank) today are on hold, because all public transportation has shut down for the Jewish holiday of Sukkot (the feast of tabernacles).

So today I plan to enjoy a meal with my host and his family, then do some more touring of Jerusalem, and later meet up with Luke and Alex (who I missed yesterday).

That means tomorrow will be a hectic day, as I will pop over to Bethlehem (and perhaps Ramallah) early in the morning, return to Jerusalem around noon, and then take a bus down to the Egyptian border. Bonus points for arriving before the Egyptian consulate in Eilat closes; double bonus points for crossinng the border before the last bus to Dahab departs Taba.

I don't mind pushing myself physically for the next couple days, because sunshine, coral reefs, and banana pancakes await me at Dahab.

And of course, pictures and videos will be forthcoming.

0 comments:

Post a Comment